Spring Cleaning: Deep Clean your Basement
Next to the garage, the basement is the place in the house that ends up with all the extras. If you don’t know where to put leftover party decorations or those gifts you forgot to return after the holidays, stow them in the basement. Can’t decide what to do with toys your kids don’t play with anymore? Those probably end up in the corners of the basement, too.
You might start to organize your basement by going through the various stacks of items and putting them into piles. One pile can be “to throw away,” one can be “to donate,” one can be “find a place for this,” and the other can be “undecided.” Clear out the items to toss/donate, put away the items you have a place for, then go through the third undecided pile.
Sound like a plan? This basement cleaning checklist will help get you started:
- Work in sections to remove all of the items in that area of the basement.
- For each section, create four piles: items to toss, items to donate, items to remain in that area, and items that need to be stored elsewhere.
- Toss any items you no longer need and/or any items that haven’t been used in the past year (you may also want to donate these items).
- Reorganize the items you’re keeping in that section; space organizers and bins may be helpful for storing items neatly.
- Take down light fixtures and wash (you may be able to do this in the dishwasher).
- Replace any burnt-out light bulbs.
- Check/replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- Wash the baseboards, door ceilings, windowsills, doors and walls.
- Wipe down any cupboard or cabinet surfaces.
- Vacuum and wash vents.
- Wash windows on the inside and out (if you have any in the basement).
- Dust any additional light fixtures and lampshades.
- Launder any window treatments you may have according to manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Wipe down any picture frames and mirrors using a glass cleaner.
- Dust any decorative items.
- Remove any cobwebs in the ceilings or in corners.
- Vacuum the entire basement.
Now, you can head upstairs feeling accomplished and know that your basement is clean and organized!